Benefits of reviewing IT spending
One of the challenges associated with delivering impactful sourcing programs in complex business and category areas is having the right level of expertise on hand that blends commercial acumen with subject matter expertise and an ability to drive change with complex or senior stakeholder groups.
Being able to communicate a picture of the marketplace, pinpoint the opportunity, set out an approach and signpost the pitfalls to avoid is pivotal to unlocking success.
We have recently been working with a client in the financial services sector who recognised this need and engaged us to provide a capability that could deliver a benefit in their IT spending, enabling the optimisation of their infrastructure and driving commercial benefits.
Odesma deployed a small team of subject matter experts to work alongside key stakeholders across the businesses, identifying and delivering projects across core areas of IT Infrastructure expenditure.
The team focused on three core areas to deliver savings:
- Demand process & specification optimisation
- Consumption reduction
- Sourcing and supplier re-negotiation
Our consultants completed the program, including all analysis, planning, supplier negotiation and contracting across 35 projects during a 6 month engagement.
Hyper-converged computing and SSD storage
- analysing needs and conducting negotiation with vendors to implement a new computing environment, increasing performance for business applications, balancing vendor offerings with business needs, and lowering required investments by >30%
Optimisation of cloud computing environment
- benchmarking spend for current and future needs for cloud computing, assessed computing cost of on-premises hyper-converged platform vs. cloud solutions and negotiated custom pricing agreement with Amazon AWS. Built cloud instance and pricing optimisation models to optimise environment across AWS’ catalogue with over 560K price points. Delivered combined rate and demand management savings of >25%.
Software licensing strategy assessment and deployment
- analysed licensing schemes, benchmarked rates and optimised current contracts with major SW vendors (including Oracle, Microsoft, Citrix and others), identifying opportunities to improve pricing, reduce demand, optimise licensing schemas, consolidate contracts, consolidate SW vendors and / or improve relationship with ISVs / resellers. Delivered savings of >50% on impacted SW categories.
This team covered both ‘BAU’ and project spending to unlock opportunities to drive cost efficiencies across all IT silos, delivering over 25% saving in. addressed spend.
View More Projects